Tuesday, August 10, 2010

On a trip

This is the day I leave for parts south. I have some anxieties about cutting myself off from everything that is familiar and comfortable. But so many people have told me that it will be good for me, that I believe them and feel I must do it.

The "kids" will get along without me, but I will miss seeing Spike off to College, and seeing the other grandchildren frequently. But then I will see our Australian grandchildren, whom I see very infrequently.

I felt like a heel leaving poor little Ella at the kennel this morning. But there were lots of dogs there playing in the enclosures. So maybe she will find a friend. I feel very confident with the kennel owner and trainer. He will look after her well. We have had lots of conversations and e-mails about her.

Over the last few weeks, I have begun to realize just how awful those last eighteen months must have been for Di, and how willing she was for it to end. That last month in the nursing home was the final straw, and she clearly did not want to continue like that. We promised her that we would not let her die there, so we brought her home,  but she lasted only a couple of days. Goodbye my darling. I am off on an adventure that you would have enjoyed so much. But I will have to do it solo - or rather, with a different friend. I will be thinking of you a lot. Peace and love, Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment