Friday, July 9, 2010

A few days of family joys

We are in Denver, CO, with family. John, our eldest, wanted me to come out and visit, but frankly, I just did not feel up to driving all the way by myself.So, generous Mark, arranged to take a few days off, and drive out with me, together with Matt and Molly. Matt got some driving time, preparatory to applying for his license next week He did well. The longer he spent behind the wheel, the smoother his driving got.

While happiness reigned, to be with family again, the trip was tinged with more than a little sadness. The last trip we made out here was for KJ's High School graduation in May of 2009, and Di and I made that last trip together. Almost anything can unleash the tide of memories.

However, I am becoming more resigned. I was given the greatest gift of love over 53 years. I accept the amazing generosity of that gift, and must move on. It will never be repeated and, in my lifetime, I do not expect to receive another gift like it.  I will simply treasure the memories, and enjoy them.

The weekend will be full of family activities, which,  again, I will treasure, and store up memories - brother enjoying brother, (though with a lot of trash talk), cousins enjoying the company of each other. Then, on Monday, it will be a long drive back to Kansas City, to the solitary existence again.

On Tuesday, I will pick Ella up from the kennel, to which she did not go happily, and take her home again, back to her comfort zone. Peace and love to you all. Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment