Saturday, July 10, 2010

Walking towards the light

John was very persistent in his invitation to vis them in Denver, for which be many thanks. I dragged myself and Ella out of our respective comfort zones, Ella to go, unwillingly to the kennel, and me to drive to Denver,with Mark and family.

John and family are always generous hosts, and this weekend was yet a further example of his generosity. Last night he took all who were available to a Rockies game at  the Rockies' stadium in Downtown Denver. The game itself was exciting, with a come from behind grand slam win for the Rockies, in the eight innings. Going to a baseball game out there is a multimedia extravaganza. The scoreboard alone is a marvel, with so much information loaded on it, that we had to ask nearby folk what some of the symbols meant. It was a joy to see Matt,Kelly and Molly enjoying themselves and each other's company, throwing themselves headlong into participation in the whole game show that is a baseball game, dancing and singing along with the music. I thought how much Di would enjoy seeing them enjoying themselves. If anyone from KC wants to see the benefits of public transit, let them go to Denver, where we could catch the comfortable and efficient train to, and home from the baseball game in a vibrant downtown Denver. The stadium itself is well designed,  with wide concourses. You can walk all the way around the stadium - a full 360 degree tour.

Earlier in the day we had gone to the Red Rocks Amphitheater - one of the works created by Roosevelt's New Deal, and some great architectural design. The architect's guiding principles was to do as little "architecture" as possible, and let the site speak for itself.

Then off to the mountain slide, (which was not working that morning), the off the Casa Bonita for lunch. Casa Bonita is a Mexican Restaurant in Denver, that has made its reputation and (lots of money) as the epitomy of "tacky". It is huge - can hold up to 1,000 people at full capacity. Having sat through a number of  skits based on elementary comedy writing, and watching the flame juggling and "cliff diving",we left with the refried beans sitting heavily on my stomach.

This morning the others have gone on a "white water rafting trip"  I stayed behind to just have a quiet time, and to go out to buy John a Birthday gift. Just because his mother has died, I do not want his birthdays to go unmarked and unnoticed.

This weekend has been a life saver for me. The family fun we have had, has given me permission to go on living in the expectation of finding fulfillment, and even joy again. And the knowledge that the family is there for me with support and love, is so gladdening to the heart. I love them all and their joy in life is joy to me. When tougher times come, I hope that I will be there for them, when they need the very real help they are now giving me. Calmness, peace and love to all, Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment